Built on the back of Big Tech

This website has over 35 different tracking cookies that we have no control over.

If you value your online privacy, please join us on AZBackroads.com, where your privacy is protected.

Our Website has moved to AZBackroads.com!

We are no longer publishing on this site, but it will remain active. You can find all existing writings plus more on our new website AZBackroads.com. Our new website is a powerhouse full of information. You will find several resources to help you learn about policy, adventure, and other information like fire restrictions, forest orders, and GPS tracks.

Create an account and join the forum!

Our new forum is a free speech zone meant to provide Arizona Backcountry Explorers members a place to mingle without fear of being silenced.

Visit The New Site

Attention Motorized Users!

With the major influx of 4×4 and recreation users, the 4×4 community is facing some difficult issues. From teaching others about outdoor etiquette and removing tones of trash. To engaging these users in policies that threaten motorized access, we must step up our game to maintain positive public perception and persevere motorized access for future generations.

Motorized access comes at a cost. Not only do we need to stay on the trail, pack out trash, and maintain our roads. But we also need to understand that motorized access is constantly threatened. In the past 3 years alone, Arizona has faced over 13,000 miles of backroads threatened by closure. Locally, a small group of individuals was able to stop nearly all road closures. But we barely made it by the skin of our teeth.

It is now more important than ever that industry leaders and content creators provide the leadership that used to guide motorized users. As leaders in the 4×4 world, it is our responsibility to teach newcomers the ropes.

Please Subscribe

We are boycotting social media.

We are phasing out our social media pages and will no longer support a platform that silences us. To avoid the arbiters of truth, it is imperative that you subscribe to our email list and get our content straight to your inbox. We will still continue to run our websites and forum as well as work with our allies to complete our goals.

Latest headlines from AZBackroads.com

The facts about the Arizona state trust land permit

Our website has moved

Please be patient as we redirect you to our new site.

Supporting the Arizona state trust land permit system is essential for our state.

There is a lot of confusion in the outdoor community about the Arizona state trust land permits. I have heard everything from "You're not allowed on trust land" to "You need a group permit." A lot of people insist you need a permit to drive a trail. But is it true? Here are the ins and outs of the Arizona state trust land recreation permit.

Arizona state trust land sign
Arizona state trust land sign

In Arizona, we have private, Indian, state, and federal lands. Each with different rules and regulations. The rules have been the same since I started enjoying what Arizona trust lands have to offer. Doing what I do, it's crucial to have a permit. You can't travel any dirt trail without eventually running into state trust land. Trust lands are either sporadic, with only small parcels here and there. Or vast, covering hundreds of acres. They can also be found in a checkerboard pattern in the northern part of the state. Plus, I never wanna be held back when an excellent opportunity comes along.

In most cases, unless you have a map with land boundaries, you'll never know you're on state trust land. Most trust land is gated for the use of ranchers who lease the properties. Sometimes, you'll find a sign indicating "No Trespassing," but that is not always the case. In isolated areas, you will not find any signs, and it's important to know what land you're on at all times.

See my recommendation on the best GPS unit available. 

A recreation permit is NOT required to cross state trust land with a registered motor vehicle. However, once you stop the vehicle, you need a permit. If you don't have a permit, you cannot stop to stretch your legs, take pictures, fuel up, nothing! The likelihood of not stopping is slim to nothing in some large trust land parcels. Stopping to open a gate is likely required, thus putting you in violation of the rules. 

The same rules apply to unregistered vehicles that have the Off-Highway Vehicle sticker. An OHV is legally defined as any motorized vehicle manufactured for offroad use that weighs less than 2500 lbs. The OHV sticker is your contribution to the Arizona OHV fund. The OHV fund is a vital funding source for Arizona Parks and Recreation and Arizona Game and Fish.
A recreation permit is NOT required for hunters who are trying to harvest during hunting season. Or fishermen harvesting Arizona's rivers. Your hunting and fishing license is your permit, but only while actively hunting or fishing, and that is it.


Don't think you can manipulate this exception. Those who enforce trust land permits are well aware of the rules. Many people believe, if you have a hunting or fishing license, it gives you the right to camp. This couldn't be further from the truth. A hunting or fishing license grants you access to state trust land while actively hunting or fishing. 

Entering Arizona state trust land without a permit is considered trespassing and can land you in some big trouble. Any law enforcement officer has the authority to write tickets and jail violators. This includes Arizona Game and Fish, county sheriffs deputies and local police, BLM, and forest rangers.

A group recreation permit is NOT required if everyone has an individual permit. Group permits will cover up to 20 people who don't have an individual permit for a one-time event no longer than 5 days.

A special use permit is required for organized events. Whether it is for-profit or non-profit, any event that is advertised publicly must obtain a special-use permit. A special-use permit takes months to approve and is not cheap. It requires the use of toilet facilities and many other special requirements. This includes public events organized over Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media platform.

Arizona State trust land permits are required for the individual, not the vehicle. Each person must have a permit while visiting state trust land unless a group permit is available. You can purchase an individual permit or a family permit. The family permit will cover two adults and two children. Both the family and individual permits are valid for 1 year.

A recreational permit IS required to park, stand, hike, photograph, mountain bike, camp, geocache, unload your trailer, park your motor home, or any other recreational activity. As soon as you stop your vehicle, you are required to have an Arizona state trust land recreation permit.
There are a few other facts about state trust land.

Lands leased for agriculture, mining, or military use are not open for recreational use and are usually marked with a sign. Motorized access is granted as long as you don't stop. Access may be closed altogether.

Prospecting, treasure hunting, and rock hounding are only allowed upon payment of a lease agreement.

Motorized travel is not considered a recreational activity.

Target shooting is strictly prohibited except during licensed hunting.

Arizona State trust land is not public land. The property is used for Arizona's 13 trust beneficiaries. The top recipients being our public school system and state prisons.

Visiting historic or prehistoric archaeological sites is also prohibited.

The Arizona State trust land permit is only $15; just go buy one.

Although a permit may not be required in some cases, it's a good idea to get one anyway. Getting caught without one can carry a hefty fine, possible jail time,  and criminal trespassing charges. Having a GPS device with land boundaries will help you know what type of land you're on. Having this information will help you better understand what rules need to be followed. 

Special thanks to Steve from trespassing at the Arizona state trust land department for helping me complete my research on this subject.

Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Where does the money go from the Arizona State Trust land permit?

The money generated from the Arizona state trust is used to benefit 13 beneficiaries. Arizona's public schools and state prisons are the two largest beneficiaries. Several funding sources contribute to the state's trust. Agriculture, mining, land liquidation, state parks, permits, and licenses generate a vital income source for the most important government programs in Arizona.

For example, Arizona ranchers fund 65% of public education through agriculture leases on state trust land. The federal government funds 10%, and the remaining 25% is allocated by the legislature. Without this funding, our schools would be running at less than 50% of its current capacity. 

The Arizona state trust is part of statehood. When Arizona became a state, it was written into our constitution. Our founders considered it an important part of the state's rights and sovereignty. These issues were widely documented during the Madison debates, and we highly suggest that everyone learn the history.

Connect With Us

Join us on our new website!

AZ Backroads is our new powerhouse! Please come check out our new website and create an account to start interacting with our content.

We are reader funded

Our supporting members make our efforts possible and help us inform the Arizona people about land use policy. By becoming a supporting member, you will gain access to members only content, commentary, and GPS tracks from our adventures.

About Us

Engaging Our Community

AZBCE is dedicated to keeping our community informed. We have successfully engaged our community in policy-making decisions that threaten motorized access in Arizona. We take pride in helping shape land-use proposals on Bureau of Land Management and the USDA Forest Service lands.

Going Against The Grain

When nobody else is talking about it, AZBCE is. We believe it's important our community engage in policy decisions that threaten motorized access to our public lands. We publish material through various online and print publications to create awareness about the radical environmental policy facing outdoor recreation.

Our Goals


Promote adventure and establish our backroads as an economic source for rural Arizona communities.


Engage our community in policy making decisions that threaten rural Arizona.


Unit the agriculture, mining and outdoor recreation communities to shape state and federal policy.


Empower our community and provide the tools to effectively stand guard for traditional Arizona.

Traditional Values

We believe in the western way of life and the founding principles of this great place we call home. We are advocates of limited government, states rights, the US Constitution, and opponents of radical policies that threaten our way of life.

Mapping Adventure

Using GIS data and advanced mapping software, we plan and take on the most memorable adventures across the western United States. Our fans can download our GPS tracks and follow our routes using existing roads and the most challenging trails that connect small towns across the state.

400+ GPS Tracks

1500+ POI

80+ Fire Rings

10+ National Forests

View The Map

Get in touch

We would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Please feel free to message us using the contact form or send us an email.


Message Us


Email *

Message *